World Ocean Day, celebrated on June 8th each year, is an international event dedicated to raising awareness about the importance of our oceans and promoting their sustainable use. It provides an opportunity to highlight the critical role that oceans play in our lives, including their significance for biodiversity, climate regulation, food security, and the overall health of the planet.
World Ocean Day aims to mobilise individuals, communities, organisations, and governments to take action and make positive changes to protect and conserve our oceans. It encourages people to reflect on their relationship with the ocean and inspires them to become responsible stewards of marine resources.
World Ocean Day is an opportunity to highlight the interconnectedness of our actions and the health of our oceans. It reminds us that by taking care of the ocean, we are taking care of ourselves and future generations. It calls for collaboration, innovation, and sustainable practices to ensure the preservation and wise use of our oceans for the benefit of all life on Earth.
Our Clean Marina Initiative
GCCM are dedicated to offering facilities that meet the highest standards in the world and a customer experience that encourages environmental sustainability leadership. A crucial component of our company practises is the construction and upkeep of a tidy, effective, and secure workplace.
In order to ensure the sustainability of our local waters, marine life, fish, and neighbouring communities, GCCM is committed to pushing environmental compliance and setting the standard for sustainable business efforts. Learn more about our environmental commitment here.
What are our Environmental Goals?
- Reducing waste production by using more environmentally friendly operational methods and improving landfill diversion by launching new recycling programs and establishing a circular economy.
- Conducting all shipyard and marina operations in accordance with legal criteria for preserving the quality of the air, water, and noise.
- Developing a circular economy by implementing shipyard operations that follow best practises in environmental management.
- Strive to achieve the ban on single-use plastics by 2025.
- Continue to hold and maintain our Clean Marina Level 3 and Fish Friendly Certification with the MIA as well as our International 5 Gold Anchor ranking.
Our ongoing marine sustainability initiatives
- To comprehend waste processes and develop a circular economy within the shipyard, we are now collaborating with QUT: Centre for a Waste-Free World. Learn more here.
- Recycling and treatment plants for washdown water used on boats.
- Harvesting rainwater for use at the marina.
- Reducing traditional energy consumption by being the largest solar power marine facility globally.
- Building a waste resource recovery centre onsite at GCCM.
- Fish-friendly activities include banning the use of plastic bags, prohibiting fishing onsite, and providing helpful information on the types, constraints, and best practices for sustainable fishing in the area.
GCCM and the Marina Industries Association
Our dedication to advancing the environment here at the Gold Coast Marina & Shipyard has set the benchmark for marinas all over the world. Our on-site projects include one of the largest maritime solar power facilities in the world, a dedicated on-site recycling yard (for both hard and liquid waste), treatment and recycling plants for boat washdown water, and the Gold Coast’s first Sea Bin installation.
The Gold Coast Marina and Shipyard is one of the 58 accredited Clean Marinas as well as one of the 38 Fish Friendly Marinas accredited with the Marina Industry Association (MIA).
Our consistent 100% results in the widely regarded Clean Marina accreditation audit further highlight our long-standing dedication to environmental best practices. We are the only facility in Australia to twice receive a perfect grade.
The Marina Industries Association (MIA) has a vow to ban single-use plastics from marinas by 2025, and GCCM is happy to have signed it.
GCCM – Preserving our Oceans
As a team of boaties, we love being out on the water. Preserving our oceanic environment will allow us to continue to do so in a clean and healthy way. Here at GCCM we will continue to do all that we can to reduce our environmental impact in any way that we can, ensuring that boaties can continue to enjoy our oceans for generations to come.