Gold Coast, Australia – June 5, 2023
Following the success of recent activities at the 2023 edition of the Sanctuary Cove International Boat Show, GCCM owners the Gay Family have announced a long-term management commitment has been negotiated with Andrew Chapman and his company Marina Solutions.
GCCM brought Chapman in last year to reset the operations of the iconic Gold Coast Marina and Shipyard.
Chapman says his focus has been “to build and empower the great team that provide the exceptional Customer Service at GCCM. With 23 years of experience the GCCM operations set the benchmark in the Coomera Marine Precinct, and we are focussing on those core values and deliverables that our customers require when they engage GCCM and our Business Partners around the shipyard to refit and maintain their vessels”.
Trent Gay Director of GCCM says “he is pleased to have secured Chapman and Marina Solutions to operate the facility long term as the benefits of his hands-on management style with both staff, business partners and clients has been very well received. Many who have visited the marina and shipyard over the weekends are shocked to often see Chapman on the yard or in the office to ensure seamless operations for our customers. Chapman’s experience in marina and shipyard construction will be pivotal in the commencement on our Stage 2 Titan Yard with increased capacity for lifting and another 16,000 sqm of factory space soon to come online at GCCM”.
Chapman says he “sees the 90 businesses around the GCCM shipyard as business partners who all share the responsibility to deliver exceptional customer service to our clients. Our job at GCCM is to lift our clients’ vessels in an easy fashion then facilitate an opportunity for the best tradesman in the Australian Marine Industry to service and refit their vessels at GCCM. With construction of stage II imminent the excitement is building, and the industry understands the opportunities that are now presenting with the predicted boom time in Southeast Queensland leading up to the Olympics”.
Stage II development will see the current facility more than double in size with the development of an adjacent 20-hectare site. A facility of this nature will give us the opportunity to increase our boat building capacity and capabilities on the East Coast of Australia. Once completed, GCCM will be able to further accommodate the growing size of the Australian domestic fleet along with the influx of vessels cruising the South Pacific region including superyachts, wide beam catamarans and sailing yachts with ground-breaking new facilities including 1500+ tonne capacity lift, and undercover refit and repair factories.
Chapman has nearly 40 years’ experience in the marina and shipyard development and operation industry. He is still actively consulting around Australia and the Asia Pacific region and has led the Marina Industries Association as President and Chairman for the last 14 years, having been a Director for 19 years.
About Gold Coast City Marina and Shipyard
GCCM is situated on 17.5 hectares of zoned waterfront industry land which fronts the Coomera River at Waterway Drive. The marina and shipyard form an integral part of the 250-hectare ‘Gold Coast Marine Precinct’, the largest of its kind in the Southern Hemisphere. GCCM is located 20 kilometres from Surfers Paradise and 70 Kilometres form the Brisbane CBD.
GCCM is a 5 Gold Anchor Marina, a certified Clean Marina and a Fish Friendly Marina. Our dedication to raising the environmental standards of shipyards includes having one of the world’s largest solar plants in a marine facility from which we draw our power requirements.
Boaties who select GCCM benefit from:
- 300 and 50 tonne travelifts.
- 12 and 13-tonne forklifts plus 45-tonne hydraulic trailer. Eight enclosed 50-metre superyacht sheds.
- 19-metre clear height undercover work bays.
- 90 vessel hard stand.
- Berthing for yachts up to 75 metres (246ft) for in-water work with floating docks and crane access, with 400 amps available.
- 300-spot drystore offering a valet service for boats up to 36 ft.
- 24-hour security and site wide CCTV. 24-hour fuel and bunkering services. Laundry and customer lounge.
- Dedicated crew zone for visiting vessels with gym, kitchen, lounge and barbeque area.
- Yacht concierge services including courtesy vehicles, leisure recommendations, local bookings, provisioning advice.
The magnitude of the facility is matched by its service standards which are exemplified in its many industry accolades. Full list of GCCM’s Awards:
- MIA’s Superyacht Ready Accreditation
- ACREW’s Global Superyacht Business Award – Best Superyacht Refit Facility 2022
- MIA’s Best innovation by a marina or supplier 2021/22 – On water refit capability
- MIA’s Best Dry Stack Storage Facility 2021/22 – Finalist
- ACREW’s Global Superyacht Business Award – Best Superyacht Facility Australasia 2020
- MIA’s Best innovation by a marina or supplier 2019/20 – Australian Superyacht Rendezvous
- Superyacht Australia’s Superyacht Industry Champion 2020 – GCCM CEO Trenton Gay
- Superyacht Australia’s Superyacht Industry Product/Design/Manufacturer 2020
- MIA’s Marine Industry Hall of Fame 2017
- MIA’s Outstanding Individual Contribution 2017/18 – GCCM CEO Trenton Gay
- MIA’s ‘Boatyard of the Year’ 2013/14
- Superyacht Australia’s ‘Service Provider of the Year’ 2015
- MIA’s ‘Boatyard of the Year’ 2015/2016
- MIA’s ‘Dry Storage Facility of the Year’ 2015/16
- MIA’s ‘Best Environmental Initiatives by a Marina’ 2016/2017
- MIA’s ‘Employee of the Year’, Steve Sammes, 2016/2017
- MIA’s ‘Marina Hall of Fame’ 2016/2017
- MIA’s ‘Outstanding Contribution by an Individual to the Industry’, Trenton Gay, 2016/2017
- Superyacht Australia’s ‘Service Provider of the Year’ 2018
- Australian Marine Industry Export Group’s ‘Industry Champion for the Marine Export Sector’, Trenton Gay, 2017